How Inguinal hernia surgery can save you from pain and discomfort?
Causes of Inguinal hernia
An inguinal hernia is common and usually has no apparent cause. But there are some particular factors that are believed to be contributing towards inguinal hernia which can be fixed by inguinal hernia surgery:
- Males are more prone to having an inguinal hernia than females.
- Older people are also more at risk of having an inguinal hernia, as in old age, muscles weaken and need of inguinal hernia surgery is there
- Being white also contributes to having an inguinal hernia and inguinal hernia surgery is needed.
- Chronic cough can also cause an inguinal hernia, such as from smoking.
- Chronic constipation can also lead to having an inguinal hernia as it causes straining during your bowel moments and inguinal hernia surgery can fix that.
- Being pregnant can also lead you to have an inguinal hernia as pregnancy can weaken the abdomen muscles and will increase the pressure inside the abdomen.
- If your previous inguinal hernia has happened back in your childhood, even then you are still at risk of developing an inguinal hernia again.
Complications related to Inguinal Hernia
Following are the complications related to the inguinal hernia:
Pressure in surroundings due to inguinal hernia
- Pressure on the surrounding tissues can happen due to the inguinal hernia if the inguinal hernia enlarges and doesn’t surgically get removed on time, so inguinal hernia surgery is the way out.
Inguinal hernia complications in men
- In males, an inguinal hernia can enlarge towards scrotum and can cause there pain and swelling so to prevent that inguinal hernia surgery is needed.
Incarcerated inguinal hernia
- An incarcerated inguinal hernia occurs when the contents of the hernia become obstructed in a weak point in the abdominal wall; this can hinder the bowel movement leading to very chronic pain. It can also cause nausea, vomiting, and an inability to pass out gas and defecate, for that inguinal hernia surgery is required.
Strangulation due to inguinal hernia
Strangulation can be triggered due to incarcerated hernia. An incarcerated hernia can cut off the blood flow to part of your intestine. And this strangulation then can lead to the death of the affected bowel tissue. This type of hernia can be fatal and should be surgically removed immediately and inguinal hernia surgery is needed to fix that.
Prevention from inguinal hernia
Inguinal hernia can be prevented in the following ways:
- It is important to maintain a healthy weight, talk to a nutritionist or your physician, and get a customized diet plan for you.
- Try to incorporate high fiber-containing food in your diet to avoid chronic constipation that can cause an inguinal hernia and you have to opt for inguinal hernia surgery in the end.
- Be careful when lifting heavy objects. While you are lifting something, always bend your knees, never your waist.
Smoking, along with triggering many other health issues, also aggravates chronic cough that can lead to an inguinal hernia and that inguinal hernia surgery is required to correct that.