Your Weight Loss Partner
Let’s Achieve Your Goals
with Sleeve Gastrectomy!
Empowering your weight loss journey through laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy. We’re committed to your success. Together, we’ll conquer challenges and celebrate victories. Start your transformation with us today!
Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy in Pakistan
Sleeve gastrectomy, also known as vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG) or gastric sleeve surgery, is a surgical procedure performed to aid weight loss in individuals with obesity. It involves reducing the size of the stomach to restrict food intake. Sleeve gastrectomy is considered a safe and effective weight loss surgery option for individuals with a body mass index (BMI) above 40 or a BMI above 35 with obesity-related health conditions. After the surgery, patients experience significant weight loss over time. They need to follow a modified diet plan and make lifestyle changes to ensure long-term success.
Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy procedure
Sleeve gastrectomy involves removing the outer wall of the stomach that produces obesity stimulating hormones. During the procedure, small incisions are made in the abdomen. These incisions are less than an inch. A laparoscope is inserted, which is a long, thin tube with a camera at the end, along with other surgical instruments. The surgeon then removes approximately 75-85% of the stomach, creating a smaller “sleeve-shaped” stomach pouch. Once the surgical area is inspected and confirmed to be intact, the instruments are removed, and the incisions are closed.
After the procedure, patients are closely monitored in a recovery area before being transferred to a hospital room. This approach offers several advantages, including shorter recovery time, reduced scarring, and a lower risk of complications compared to traditional open surgery.
Sleeve gastrectomy works through two main mechanisms: restriction and hormonal changes. By reducing the size of the stomach, the procedure restricts the amount of food that can be consumed at one time, leading to a reduced calorie intake. Additionally, the part of the stomach that produces the hunger hormone ghrelin is removed, helping to control appetite and reduce cravings. At ALSA Pakistan, Dr. Tahir Yunus performs sleeve gastrectomy with exceptional efficiency, ensuring successful outcomes and minimal complications.
Gastric sleeve surgery benefits | ALSA
Sleeve gastrectomy offers numerous benefits and helps reduce the risk of serious weight-related health issues that can be life threatening and improve the quality of life significantly. These include:
- 1Sleeve gastrectomy can lead to significant and sustainable weight loss.
- 2Improves mental health
- 3Reduced joint pain
- 4It helps control type 2-diabetes by 60%.
- 5Reduced medication dependance
- 6It is performed as a standalone procedure, and also it offers the opportunity to do any other weight loss procedure later on such as SADI or gastric bypass if the patient wants to lose more weight.
- 7It does not increase the risk of kidney stones in patients who are at high risk of developing kidney stones.
- 8Lowers the risk of high blood pressure, cancer, and heart diseases.
- 9Reduced risk of obesity related diseases.
- 10It is a very quick and short procedure, and has a short anesthesia time. It helps the patients who are at high risk for surgery and cannot tolerate high anesthesia time.
- 11Patients with very high BMI (i.e. 60, 70), are at high risk for anesthesia complications. Sleeve gastrectomy shortens the amount of anesthesia time required and gives these patients the opportunity to lose weight and get out of the danger zone.
- 12Improves obesity related infertility
- 13Sleeve gastrectomy improves metabolic health and can result in improved insulin resistance, blood sugar control, and lipid profiles.
- 14Sleeve gastrectomy is a simple and straightforward surgical procedure without the need for rerouting or reconnecting the intestines.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Does It Take To Recover From Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy?
After Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy it will take you around 2 to 3 weeks to recover from that fully.
What Are The Benefits Of Gastric Sleeve Gastrectomy?
After Gastric sleeve gastrectomy many people reversed the sign of diabetes and also get to lose so much of extra weight.
What is Visceral Fat?
Visceral fat is the fat surrounding or deposited within body organs such as the heart, lungs, liver and pancreas. They are directly linked to development of disease conditions such as high blood pressure, elevated triglycerides, insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes and even shortness of breath.
How much weight loss occurs after sleeve gastrectomy?
Sleeve gastrectomy offers 25% weight loss. Lifestyle modification with this procedure offers an additional 5% weight loss and adding medicines can boost it by 10%.
So, in total, 40% of weight loss can occur with this procedure in conjunction with lifestyle changes and medicines.
How Much Weight Will You Lose After The Gastric Sleeve Gastrectomy?
Patient will lose around 65-70% weight after this surgical procedure.
What Are The Types Of Body Fat?
Body fat is mainly of two types: subcutaneous or under the skin and visceral fat which is surrounding the body organs. Visceral fat has been implicated to cause a lot of diseases that are associated with obesity. Subcutaneous fat produces estrogen which can affect the ovarian cycles and lead to infertility.
What are the downsides of sleeve gastrectomy?
It can increase the risk of acid reflux, especially if someone already have hiatal hernia or swelling in their lower food pipe. Gastric bypass procedure is recommended in these people.
There is a 20% chance for some weight regain after five years. Especially in people with stress related eating disorder or high calorie food eating preferences. The amount of weight regain varies; it can be 5%, 10% or so, depending upon the patient.